ashleyveekay

Progress: 45 %
SPOILER ALERT!

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs

I really wanted to like this book. It sat in my "To  Read" list for months hyped up until I could get my hands on a copy. After reading it though, I was left feeling a bit unfulfilled.

Photography and photojournalism has been a hobby of mine for quite some time now. I was really taken with the idea that this book was created with characters based around real people in old photographs with a creepy feel to them, à la Diane Arbus. It was a great, original idea, just poor execution as far as I'm concerned.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is marketed as being somewhat as part of the horror genre but in my opinion, it is grossly mislabeled. Mysterious, sure, but not scary or horrifying at all.

Also, I didn't find myself connecting with any of the characters at all. Perhaps there were just too many characters jammed into a relatively short novel that none of them were really given the attention they deserved to be established. You'd think that the peculiar children which have been around for years would have a little more substance to them, besides just their "abilities." There is almost nothing said with regards to how they even feel living the same day over and over again for upwards of 60 years, which if it were me, I'd have a thought or two about it.

The exception is the main character, Jacob who is just generally unlikeable for the most part.

By the end, I was basically just skimming so I could close it and be done with it. It almost felt like the author got that feeling too, like it just had to be done (perhaps to meet a deadline or something) and less attention was paid to making a book with a quality ending, which less face it, plays a big role in how many perceive the entire book on the whole. At that point, we've invested something into the novel and expect to have gotten something, some kind of fulfillment in return, but it just wasn't there for me. Oh well, it happens. The photos were enjoyable though.